Saturday 8 September 2012

World Champs wrap up


The 2012 World Mountain Bike Orienteering Championships were held in August near Vesprém in Hungary.   A week of training around Budapest and two days of local competition were part of the preparation for the week of World Champs competition. First up was the long distance qualification in which I needed to get a top 30 placing in my heat of the two heats to qualify for the final.  I qualified with 27th for the final the following Saturday. My placings in the individual elite grade finals were 39th in the sprint distance (31.52 min.), 52nd in the long distance (110.49 min.) and 58th in the middle distance (66.50 min.). I was able to claim the fastest split time from the last control to the finish line in several of those races!  I couldn't win overall but I could win something! :)
In the age group relay, two teammates and I brought New Zealand home a silver medal.  This was despite my bike suffering a puncture early in my 3rd leg of the event after riding over some of the thorny ground that was prevalent on the courses, and ultimately running the bike from the last two controls to the finish line.  

It was a great event that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I was honoured to be able to compete for New Zealand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment